|Air Date||November 29, 1981|
A couple of kids steal a crook's car to get to work, and take an incriminating envelope when they abandon it. Steve finds the car and then finds himself under surveillance when the owner assumes that he has the envelope. Jon helps out a country singer, but keeps missing her act. A bondsman from Texas uses unorthodox methods to catch a man who he claims beats and robs older women.
- Noble Willingham as Jake
- Jonathan Goldsmith as Danton
- Kenneth Tigar as Webb
- Amy Madigan as Jewel Burnett
- Paul Linke as Grossman
- Lou Wagner as Harlan
Special Guest Star
- Bruce Jenner as Steve McLeish
- Brodie Greer as Baricza
- Michael Dorn as Turner
- Duane Ladage as Lew
- Bennett Liss as Bernie
- Alex Rebar as George
- Helen Baron as Virginia
- Terrence O'Hara as Angeli
- Randi Oakes as Bonnie Clark
- Executive Producer: Cy Chermak
- Produced by: Paul Rabwin
- Story Supervisor: William D. Gordon
- Written by: Robert S. Biheller & W. Dal Jenkins
- Directed by: John Peyser
- Executive Consultant: Rick Rosner
- Story Editors: L. Ford Neale & John Huff
- Associate Producer: Randall Torno
- Developed for television by: Paul Playdon
- Music by: Alan Silvestri
- Theme by: John Parker
- Music Supervisor: Harry V. Lojewski
- Director of Photography: Robert F. Sparks
- Art Director: Stephen Myles Berger
- Editor: William Neel
- Unit Production Manager: Donald Gold
- First Assistant Director: Steven P. Saeta
- Second Assistant Director: Leslie L. Jackson
- Script Supervisor: Jack Gannon
- Set Decorator: W. Joseph Kroesser
- Production Consultant: Dave McDannel
- Stunt Co-ordinator: Paul Nuckles
- Recorded at: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios
- Sound: Harlan Riggs, M. Curtis Price C.A.S.
- Wardrobe Supervisor: Shelly Levine
- Makeup: Richard Cobos S.M.A., Walter Schenck
- Hairdresser: Don Lynch
- Casting: Cathy Henderson
- With Appreciation to Glen B. Craig, Commissioner California Highway Patrol
- Motorcycles Furnished by: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
- Filmed in METROCOLOR / Titles and Opticals MGM
- Rosner Television in association with MGM Television
- George's car is stolen on Ventura Boulevard. The Surprise Store seen in the background is now Skechers. View in Google Maps
- Jon first meets Jewel on Forest Lawn Drive at almost the exact spot where the crash in Mait Team took place. Nearby roads including Zoo Drive, Griffith Park Drive and Mineral Wells Road, all in Griffith Park, as used throughout the episode.
- Steve McLeish drives a dark green, possibly British Racing Green, Jaguar SS100 (or more likely a replica).
- The Palomino Club was a music venue in North Hollywood that the Los Angeles Times once called "Country Music's most important West Coast club" because of the big name acts it used to attract. It appeared in several movies in the '70s and '80s including Hooper, Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can. It closed in 1995, soon after the death of both original owners. View in Google Maps
- Amy Madigan (Jewel Burnett) played Kevin Costner's wife, Annie, in Field of Dreams and John Candy's girlfriend, Chanice, in Uncle Buck. She is married to Ed Harris, whose successful acting career includes playing Lonny in Vagabonds earlier in season 5.
- This is the first Steve McLeish episode to feature Ponch, although the two don't meet.
- One of the young car thieves actually wears his seat belt. It seemed so usual as to be noteworthy!
- After Steve checks out the abandoned blue car, he rides off leaving the window open, the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.
"Diamond in the Rough"